The Road & Transport Authority (RTA) has issued a reminder to drivers to allow the passing of pedestrians at their designated crossings to avoid being slapped with a AED500 fine as well as six black points on their records.
The authority has also urged pedestrians to be cautious as they cross the road. According to UAE laws, being caught committing jaywalking can result in receiving a fine worth AED400. The authority added that being caught ignoring traffic lights as well shall result in an AED400 fine.
The Authority issued a general directive for pedestrians to abide by to ensure the safety and wellbeing of everyone:
- Stay alert, look, and listen to traffic in all directions
- Avoid headphones while crossing the road. Be alert to what is going on around you to stay safe
- Don’t be distracted when using a zebra crossing; Don’t use your phone for calling or texting
- Cross streets at a corner, following traffic signals where available
- Use foot bridges, where available.
- Never cross the road when the pedestrian light is red
- Make eye contact and don’t cross until traffic stops
- Wear reflective clothing at night
- If there are no sidewalks, walk while facing traffic to see the coming cars