Jobs may be getting scarce these days, but it doesn’t mean applicants would jump at every employment offer on the table. Like job seekers doing poorly in an interview, hiring companies can also scare away a candidate.
A study conducted among 1,000 full-time workers in the UAE suggested that organizations that have a reputation for high turnover rates, poor performing bosses and lack of career growth opportunities could turn off a potential top talent.
Also discouraging are companies that have a lower profile in the industry and those that tend to put up with a “dysfunctional” or “poorly performing” team.
According to LinkedIn, 50 per cent of professionals in the UAE would completely rule out a move to a company that is known for being a bad employer, regardless of any pay increase offered.
5 things that can turn off a job applicant:
1. Concerns around job losses and job security
2. Few professional development opportunities
3. Working with a dysfunctional or poorly performing team
4. A reputation for poor leadership from senior managers
5. A lower profile in the industry
5 things that attract professionals to a company:
1. More professional development opportunities
2. Increased job security
3. The opportunity to work with a better team
4. Higher industry profile
5. Reputation for better leadership